UAE's Month of Reading is celebrated across the country in March every year.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates - March 16, 2021: DHA has also been conducting a series of seminars this month to highlight the importance of reading in line with UAE's Month of Reading, which is celebrated in March every year.
The latest seminar discussed strategies that can be implemented to provide diverse reading material and information in Arabic language to the visually impaired.
The seminar was organized by the DHA's Research, Studies and Data Analysis Department and moderated by Asma Al Janahi at the DHA.
The speakers' highlighted ways that could help provide and enhance the availability of Arabic content specially catered for the visually impaired.
Some of the recommendations were:
• Infrastructure development and supporting legislation
• Supporting intellectual property rights and legislation to support Arabic content for visually impaired people.
• Digital transformation that strongly supports content for people of determination
• Foster the growth of Arabic digital content
• Further development of early intervention programmes to support people with visual impairment.
• Architecture and interior of buildings should cater to visually impaired people including those with colour blindness.
The speakers of the webinar included Adil Al Zamar from the Emirates Association of the Visually Impaired; Dr. Ahmed Al Omran, Deputy Chairman, Emirates Association of the Visually Impaired; Dr. Muna Al Hammadi, Assistant Professor, College of Education, Zayed University and Wisal Idres Ahmed from the Dubai Health Authority.